Do you want your kid to experience the thrill of riding before they are even able to properly speak? Do you want the best upgrade for your little one as he or she has outgrown their balance or wheel training bike? Check out our 2019 shopper’s guide to kids’ bikes! We’ve got everything you and your little angel might want from BMX bikes with training wheels and cool-looking transition bikes to a great balance bike and the world’s safest bike for kids. Picking the perfect bike for our young riders has never been easier.
5. Huffy Glimmer Girls Bike 16”
- 16" girls bike with removable training wheels is great for beginning riders; ideal for ages 4-6 with a rider height of 42-48 inches; details like shimmering streamers make it even more fun
- This purple 16" bike is fully decorated with super cute decals; the durable steel frame is built to last and backed by our limited lifetime warranty; plus, the alloy quick seat release is great for fast and accurate height adjustments
- This bike comes with a cloth handlebar bag to carry her favorite toys; this paired with sparkly graphics will make her feel just like a star; plus the decorated, protective chainguard looks great next to the decorated pedals and removable training wheels
- The child's seat is pleasantly padded and full decorated with pretty paint strokes; the sidewalk tire tread is great for family rides around the neighborhood; while the wheels are supported by lightweight alloy spokes; time to shine with Glimmer
- This bike comes with both a front handbrake and an easy-to-use rear coaster brake; simply pedal back to stop; this is perfect for kids still learning how to balance on their bike
Recommended for: Girls; Heights: 42-48 inches (106 – 122 cm); Ages: 4-6
- Fun colors and sparkly graphics
- Spacious handlebar bag
- Wide training wheels for a great first bike
The Huffy 16-inch Glimmer is a fun-looking first bike for girls aged 4 to 6. It comes with wide training wheels, durable steel frame, colorful partially enclosed chainguard, handbrakes, shimmery streamers, and an upfront handlebar bag for your princess’ favorite toys and other items. The Huffy Glimmer girl’s bike offers great quality and a smooth ride, and it comes pre-constructed, with the tires pre-inflated. It is a great first bike with a very girlish look that will surely turn heads as the young one is riding it.
4. Huffy 20-inch Ignyte Kids Single-Speed Boys Bike
Recommended for: Boys; Heights: 44-56 in (112 – 142 cm); Ages: 5-9
- Sleek looking transition bike
- Kickstand (included); alloy quick release for the seat for ultra-fast height adjustment
- Durable steel frame backed by lifetime warranty
The Huffy 20-inch Ignyte is one of the coolest-looking transition bikes for kids aged 5 to 9. This BMX bike has everything a big boy bike needs like removable front pro-look pegs, front hand brake and coaster brake, included kickstand, chain guard, and more. The bike comes in two color combos – the gloss blue abyss and gloss crimson – which have been extremely popular among boys. This Huffy is very easy to put together (around 30 minutes without expert assembly).
Bonus Read: Best Electric Scooters for Kids – Top 7 in 2019
3. Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike
- Learn to Ride Faster - Balance bikes are proven time and again to teach boys and girls to ride faster than training wheels. Your child will learn balance and steering, which makes transitioning to a bicycle much easier.
- Lowest Seat Rise - the 11-inch seat height allows your toddler to easily straddle the bike at a young age. The seat and handlebar heights adjust to accommodate ages 18 months to 5 years. No tools required.
- Lightweight Frame - The steel frame weights just over 6 lbs., allowing your child to easily steer, push and maneuver the bike as they learn to ride.
- Mini Grips with Safety Pad - Rubber handlebar grips and a safety pad protect your kid should they fall forward. No balance bike provides more safety features than a Strider.
- Join The Strider Family - Meet the bike that set the world on fire and revolutionized the way kids learn to ride. Children as young as one are experiencing the thrill of riding without training wheels before they're out of diapers.
- Perfectly designed balance bike
- Tires will never go flat
- This model (Sport) is customizable
Here’s the balance bike that grows with your child. The Sport version of this hugely popular Strider balance bike is highly customizable as you can change the tires and/or add a foot brake. The 12 Sport also comes with adjustable handlebars and seat to accommodate kids as young as one and as old as five. This particular bike has taken the world by storm because its simple design and sturdy construction allows children to learn to ride before they even attain full control of their bowel movements. The 12 Sport is the way to go if you ever consider giving your toddler a balance bike, according to hundreds of reviews by extremely happy parents with the purchase.
2. Guardian Bikes – Ethos Series (20″ Large)
Recommended for: Boys/girls; Heights: 40” – 46”/ 101 – 117 cm (16” bike), 43” – 51”/ 109 – 130 cm (20” small bike) 45” – 53”/ 114 – 135 cm (20” large bike), 49” – 61”/ 124 – 155 cm (24” bike)
- 99% assembled (with all required tools included)
- Easy reach lever, double wall rims, premium kickstand (included)
- Patented ‘Surestop’ brake system – a single brake lever taps both wheels simultaneously to prevent front wheel skidding and head-over-handlebar accidents
The Guardian Bike Ethos 20-inch large bike is ideal for boys and girls alike with heights between 45” – 53” (114 – 134.6 cm). There is also a 20-inch small bike in the Ethos series for smaller kids (around ages 4-6) Guardian Bikes is a brand of premium bikes that have been deemed the world’s safest kids’ bikes due to the patented Surestop braking system, which equally distributes braking power between the two wheels to reduce the stopping distance and lower the risk of head-over-handlebar accidents. Ethos series bikes come in four models (16”, 20” S, 20” L, 24”) and 6 color combos. You can check out the ‘Ridesizer’ interactive tool on Guardian Bikes’ official website to better match your kid’s age/height with the right Ethos bike.
1. RoyalBaby BMX Freestyle 12” Kid’s Bike
- 🏆Sporty Design - RoyalBaby Freestyle kid's bike was designed by inspiration from the BMX spirit, It's all about fun, creativity, freedom, and friends. The sporty-looking is perfect for the next cycling star!
- 🏆Specifically For Kids - Each bike equipped with RoyalBaby patent sealed bearing for smooth pedaling. Training wheels come with 12/14/16 inch bikes, making it easy to maintain balance and learn to pedal even for young beginners. The water bottle and holder adds more joy to the ride. Fully adjustable seat and handlebar will give extra space when kids grow taller
- 🏆Safety - Shortest travel distance grips provides extra braking efficiency, sturdy steel frame and 2.4" wide cylinder tires will accompany every adventure of your little one and bring them home safe and sound
- 🏆Easy Assembly - The bike comes 95% pre-assembled, with an elaborated instruction manual and all tools needed in the box. It is easy enough to put together in 15 minutes
- 🏆Always Reliable - RoyalBaby bike complies with the CPSC standards, and is trusted by millions of families in more than 80 countries globally. Customers will be provided with high-level warranty and local 24 hours service when contacting RoyalBaby for any queries
Recommended for: Kids, ages 2-4 yr old (12”), 3-5 yr old (14”), 4-7 yr old (16”), 5-9 yr old (18”)
- Mountain bike-ish look
- Water bottle holder and quick adjust seat
- Assembly is a breeze (less than 15 minutes)
The RoyalBaby BMX Freestyle Kid’s Bike is a surprisingly sturdy bike for the price. It will run smoothly with a few minor tweaks like adjusting the front brakes (read the directions first), truing the wheels, and fastening the training wheel bolts. It is a cool looking bike with a big boy bike feel to it that small kids will love. We recommend picking the bike for your kid according to their height not age. For the heights 33″- 41″ (84-104 cm), 36″ – 47″ (91-119 cm), 41″ – 53″ (104 -134 cm), 43″ – 59″ (109-150 cm) get the 12”, 14”, 16”, 18” model, respectively. If you’re interested in more BMX bikes, check out or list of the best BMX bikes that you can buy right now.
A kids’ bike can be the reason of many fond childhood memories and getting one for your kid is advisable for both their physical health and confidence. However, getting the right one can be a daunting task due to the wide variety of models on the market.
If you’re choosing a bike based on a budget, keep in mind that a cheap bike may come with zero re-sale value, which means that both you and your kid could be better off with a more expensive bike that can be re-sold at some point since it is of a higher quality than most $100 bikes. What do you think? Have you bought a high-quality kids’ bike that isn’t on our list? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below!
Disclosure: There are affiliate links from Amazon in this article and our website may receive a commission for purchases made through the links we shared. This partnership does NOT affect the price of the product, nor does it influence our objectivity, as we only review products we consider high-quality and ideal for all young riders.
Last update on 2022-09-27 at 15:11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API