Do you want your kid to experience the thrill of riding before they are even able to properly speak? Do you want the best upgrade for your little one as he or she has outgrown their balance or wheel training bike? Check out our 2019 shopper’s guide to kids’ bikes! We’ve got everything you and your little angel might want from BMX bikes with training wheels and cool-looking transition bikes to a great balance bike and the world’s safest bike for kids. Picking the perfect bike for our young riders has never been easier.
5. Huffy Glimmer Girls Bike 16”
No products found.
Recommended for: Girls; Heights: 42-48 inches (106 – 122 cm); Ages: 4-6
- Fun colors and sparkly graphics
- Spacious handlebar bag
- Wide training wheels for a great first bike
The Huffy 16-inch Glimmer is a fun-looking first bike for girls aged 4 to 6. It comes with wide training wheels, durable steel frame, colorful partially enclosed chainguard, handbrakes, shimmery streamers, and an upfront handlebar bag for your princess’ favorite toys and other items. The Huffy Glimmer girl’s bike offers great quality and a smooth ride, and it comes pre-constructed, with the tires pre-inflated. It is a great first bike with a very girlish look that will surely turn heads as the young one is riding it.
4. Huffy 20-inch Ignyte Kids Single-Speed Boys Bike
Recommended for: Boys; Heights: 44-56 in (112 – 142 cm); Ages: 5-9
- Sleek looking transition bike
- Kickstand (included); alloy quick release for the seat for ultra-fast height adjustment
- Durable steel frame backed by lifetime warranty
The Huffy 20-inch Ignyte is one of the coolest-looking transition bikes for kids aged 5 to 9. This BMX bike has everything a big boy bike needs like removable front pro-look pegs, front hand brake and coaster brake, included kickstand, chain guard, and more. The bike comes in two color combos – the gloss blue abyss and gloss crimson – which have been extremely popular among boys. This Huffy is very easy to put together (around 30 minutes without expert assembly).
Bonus Read: Best Electric Scooters for Kids – Top 7 in 2019
3. Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike
- JOIN THE STRIDER FAMILY - Meet the bike that set the world on fire and revolutionized the way kids learn to ride. Children as young as one are experiencing the thrill of riding without training wheels before they’re out of diapers.
- GROWS WITH YOUR CHILD - The seat and handlebar heights adjust to accommodate ages 18 months to 5 years, or a 12– 20 in. inseam (no tools required).
- FOR YOUNG KIDS - The 12 Sport weighing only 3.0 kg (6.7 lbs.), makes it easy for your child to ride and stride. Mini-grips mean your child’s little mitts can easily take control. This lean, mean, and durable bike gives you the biggest bang for your buck!
- IT’S MORE THAN JUST A BIKE - Boring specs aside, this is the bike that introduces kids to the freedom, power, and responsibility of riding. Now they have the power to keep up with you when you’re out and about, experiencing amazing freedom.
- YEARS OF FUN - We know kids put things through rigorous…*ahem*…testing. With the 12 Sport's durable steel frame and puncture-proof tires, you don't have to worry about damage or maintenance and have a child’s bike they won’t outgrow in a few months.
- Perfectly designed balance bike
- Tires will never go flat
- This model (Sport) is customizable
Here’s the balance bike that grows with your child. The Sport version of this hugely popular Strider balance bike is highly customizable as you can change the tires and/or add a foot brake. The 12 Sport also comes with adjustable handlebars and seat to accommodate kids as young as one and as old as five. This particular bike has taken the world by storm because its simple design and sturdy construction allows children to learn to ride before they even attain full control of their bowel movements. The 12 Sport is the way to go if you ever consider giving your toddler a balance bike, according to hundreds of reviews by extremely happy parents with the purchase.
2. Guardian Bikes – Ethos Series (20″ Large)
- ✅ SAFER FOR CHILDREN: Every Guardian Bike comes equipped with SureStop Technology. One brake lever easily controls both wheels, allowing kids to stop 44% faster and prevents head-over-handlebar accidents.
- ✅ 20 INCH BIKE: boys bikes and girls bikes for heights 45” – 53” (approx. ages 6-9). Use our sizing chart and innovative RideSizer video to find the perfect size for your kid.
- ✅ BETTER CONTROL: Guardian Bike’s light weight steel design puts more control and stability for your child as they ride, and a kick stand for when they’re not.
- ✅ NO RISK: Each Guardian Bike comes with 30 day trial and Lifetime frame , so you and you can ride without worry
- ✅ EASY ASSEMBLY: Out of the box and riding in less than 10 minutes. All tools included in box.
Recommended for: Boys/girls; Heights: 40” – 46”/ 101 – 117 cm (16” bike), 43” – 51”/ 109 – 130 cm (20” small bike) 45” – 53”/ 114 – 135 cm (20” large bike), 49” – 61”/ 124 – 155 cm (24” bike)
- 99% assembled (with all required tools included)
- Easy reach lever, double wall rims, premium kickstand (included)
- Patented ‘Surestop’ brake system – a single brake lever taps both wheels simultaneously to prevent front wheel skidding and head-over-handlebar accidents
The Guardian Bike Ethos 20-inch large bike is ideal for boys and girls alike with heights between 45” – 53” (114 – 134.6 cm). There is also a 20-inch small bike in the Ethos series for smaller kids (around ages 4-6) Guardian Bikes is a brand of premium bikes that have been deemed the world’s safest kids’ bikes due to the patented Surestop braking system, which equally distributes braking power between the two wheels to reduce the stopping distance and lower the risk of head-over-handlebar accidents. Ethos series bikes come in four models (16”, 20” S, 20” L, 24”) and 6 color combos. You can check out the ‘Ridesizer’ interactive tool on Guardian Bikes’ official website to better match your kid’s age/height with the right Ethos bike.
1. RoyalBaby BMX Freestyle 12” Kid’s Bike
- 1. Easy to put together. 95% of the bike is assembled. Save your headache to install the front wheel and brake compared with 85% bikes. Assembly tools and an easy to follow instructions are included.
- 2. Safer riding! Safe grips and handbrake, Front caliper brake and rear coaster brake offer double safer, Wide 2.4” pneumatic tires add more stability, Sturdy steel frame,Crank, Non-slip resin pedal,Chainguard.
- 3. Easier to Ride! Your little ones will enjoy a smoother ride with Royalbaby sealed bearing since 2019, Royalbaby exclusive brake lever allows little riders brake efficiently.
- 4. Amazing design and color! Bright colors, stylish and charming. Bike bell and DIY decal add extra fun to the ride. Soft seat comes with a handle, which makes the bike easier to grab during teaching or loading.
- 5. More size options! 12,14,16,18,20 Inch available. Use our easy-to-follow size chart, you’ll find a perfect size for your little beloved. Note: Please take the kids height into consideration.
Recommended for: Kids, ages 2-4 yr old (12”), 3-5 yr old (14”), 4-7 yr old (16”), 5-9 yr old (18”)
- Mountain bike-ish look
- Water bottle holder and quick adjust seat
- Assembly is a breeze (less than 15 minutes)
The RoyalBaby BMX Freestyle Kid’s Bike is a surprisingly sturdy bike for the price. It will run smoothly with a few minor tweaks like adjusting the front brakes (read the directions first), truing the wheels, and fastening the training wheel bolts. It is a cool looking bike with a big boy bike feel to it that small kids will love. We recommend picking the bike for your kid according to their height not age. For the heights 33″- 41″ (84-104 cm), 36″ – 47″ (91-119 cm), 41″ – 53″ (104 -134 cm), 43″ – 59″ (109-150 cm) get the 12”, 14”, 16”, 18” model, respectively. If you’re interested in more BMX bikes, check out or list of the best BMX bikes that you can buy right now.
A kids’ bike can be the reason of many fond childhood memories and getting one for your kid is advisable for both their physical health and confidence. However, getting the right one can be a daunting task due to the wide variety of models on the market.
If you’re choosing a bike based on a budget, keep in mind that a cheap bike may come with zero re-sale value, which means that both you and your kid could be better off with a more expensive bike that can be re-sold at some point since it is of a higher quality than most $100 bikes. What do you think? Have you bought a high-quality kids’ bike that isn’t on our list? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below!
Disclosure: There are affiliate links from Amazon in this article and our website may receive a commission for purchases made through the links we shared. This partnership does NOT affect the price of the product, nor does it influence our objectivity, as we only review products we consider high-quality and ideal for all young riders.
Last update on 2021-08-05 at 14:30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API