Biking is one of the most fun, eco-friendly, and healthful ways to get around. The aerobic exercise provided by biking is excellent for losing weight and maintaining optimal health. When you feel the wind on your face and the angular momentum of rounding a corner, you feel the rush that freedom affords you. To make the most of your biking experience, you need some essential equipment like the best cycling shorts around.
Very few people bike naked, and this is for good reason. However, simply covering your nether regions with cloth is not ideal for biking, either. A premium pair of cycling shorts not only provides optimal comfort: they can enhance your mobility and even help to manage sweat.
However, it can be difficult to determine which are the best cycling shorts on offer on the internet. So many companies offer cycling shorts that it can be hard to determine whose claims are worth your money and whose are not. It is for that reason that we put together this list of the best cycling shorts by our estimation.
This is not an estimation we reached lightly. We will reveal our review process, our short list of top competitors, and the pair we consider the best cycling shorts around. But first, let us answer some of the most frequently asked questions about cycling shorts that we have received.
1. What Are Cycling Shorts?
Cycling shorts can be defined as short, skin-tight legwear that is designed to be comfortable and efficient while the wearer is engaged in all the motions necessary to riding a bike.
2. What Are the Advantages of Cycling Shorts?
Different models of cycling shorts provide different benefits to their wearers. The best cycling shorts accomplish many things. You can expect some of the best cycling shorts to cut down on the wind resistance that you experience during a ride. They also protect your skin against friction, which of course can be a problem when pedaling. Many work like a jockstrap, helping to keep men more comfortable on a bike seat.
Many of the best cycling shorts models are sweat-wicking. This means that their fabric helps to draw sweat away from the body to the surface of the shorts where it can evaporate. This simultaneously helps to keep the cyclist cool and dry. Some of our favorite pairs included a “cycling pad,” which added extra padding in the place where the shorts were likely to rub against the bike seat.
3. Why Are So Many of the Best Cycling Shorts So Tight?
You may have noticed how form fitting most of the cycling shorts we picked tend to be. This is not merely to show off the legs of the cyclist. Tight shorts won't get caught in the bike chain or other moving part of the bike. This tightness also helps to compress the muscles of the legs, which is scientifically shown to cut down on the amount of muscle fatigue that the cyclist experiences.
How We Reviewed
After scouring the internet for a short list of cycling shorts that could be considered the best, we ultimately ended up with ten competitors. After separating the wheat from the chaff, we scored each of these ten competitors against each other. These competitors were scored across the criteria of their price point and what key features they offered. Their pros and cons were listed for easy comparison. From these evaluations we named our winner the best cycling shorts for the money.
Overall Price Range
Any specialty gear requires you to dig a little deeper into your pockets. This is as true for cycling shorts as it is for welding masks or climbing gear. However, many of our picks can be yours for around $25, which is not too exorbitant.
What We Reviewed
NOOYME Men's Cycling Shorts 3D Gel
- (Last-Minute of Deals)3D structure chamois is breathable and comfortable.
- Smooth flatlocked seams can avoid friction and the skin irritation.
- Non-slip silicone legs grippers and elastic to keep shorts in place, no slide up.
- Two reflective marks design for highly reflective and visible when riding at night.
- Suitable for M=29-31" L=32-34" XL=35-37" XXL=38-40" XXXL=41-43"(waist measurement).
NOOYME offers a great cover for your cycling lower half with their Men's Cycling Shorts complete with 3D Gel. These 80% Polyamide and 20% spandex cycling shorts are molded in a 3D structure that lets your legs breathe. The seams are flatlocked, meaning that you cut down on both friction and rashes.
If visibility is your concern, luckily these shorts come with reflective marks no matter what color option you choose. In terms of color options, you have more than a dozen to choose from.
Louis Garneau Men's Fit Sensor 2
No products found.
Louis Garneau charges about twice what NOOYME charges if you want their Men's Fit Sensor 2 cycling shorts. This hike in price does come with a hike in features, however. The Men's Fit Sensor 2 is a breathable, seamless, and includes visibility stripes just like the NOOYME Men's Cycling Shorts. Where it goes above and beyond is that its Airzone chamois is composed of a sweat-wicking, antibacterial memory foam. That means it will not bunch up in pinch points nor will it cause chafing.
Sponeed Men's Cycling
Shorts Padded Bicycle Riding Pants
- Easy manntenance and size option,it is US size,please check the size chart in product description with weight,height and waist.Few cyclists say it's half one size smaller than US standard,so if you preder to more loose to fit,please go up one size to buy.Package includes bike padded shorts.Wash under 100 degrees F, Hand washing or machine (Put in mesh laundry bag when washing in machine).Do not brush or bleach them
- Quality cycling pants,This men bicycle shorts,half pants has a great moisture feature and a four-way performance stretch, 6-Panel anatomic design for superior,chafe-free comfort. It is made of high-quality fabric,80% polyester and 20% spandex with sublimation print that never fades out
- Bicycle padded shorts are highly durable.Cycle shorts are good at the skin,they're designed with skin-friendly materials. This is the cycle gift (with individual nice package) to give to those cyclist freak.This bicycle men shorts are suitable for all levels cyclists, which includes road bike or mountain cycling.It has a quick-dry and breathable feature which makes you feel more comfortable.
- Excellent design,Padded bicycle shorts are designed in Italy,anatomical design keeps the biking pants in place while in the riding position,Multiple details designed to suit your riding adventure better,super comfortable wide waistband,silicone leg grippers keep the cycling tights in place,Gel pad gives you the right amount of cushion without weighing you down and making your ride uncomfortable
- First rate service- Any question with the cycle men shorts,please email us,we will reply within 24 hours.As a brand, we believe in quality our padded bike shorts are definitely worth the cost.We are cycling supplies manufacturer, we can provide top-level quality product and first rate service, we also accept your special customized, such as club uniforms,bike gloves,bicycle helmet and arm sleeve etc
Looking good can be just as much a goal for cycling as riding without chafing. That is why we loved the six color options that the Sponeed Men's Cycling Shorts Padded Bicycle Riding Pants came in. You can choose between blue, grey, green, red, white, and multi-black.
All of these models are made of 80% polyester and 20% spandex lycra. These shorts are constructed with a 4D gel pad that is elastic and breathable.
Baleaf Men's Cycling Shorts
3D Padded Bicycle Bike Quick-Dry Pants
- High Stretchy durable, breathable and moisture-wicking properties fabric offer you great comfort,especially suitable for sensitive skin
- Silicone leg particle gripper holds the shorts in position, wide and flexible waistband offers great comfort
- Reflective elements for low-light visibility while riding. 4-way stretch construction increases mobility and flexibility.Wide and elastic waistband offers great comfort
- 3D padding in ideal place is adequately sized and sufficiently thick that provides decent protection on your bike saddle while long-distance riding
- 9" inseam long half bike shorts for indoor/outdoor bicycle enthusiasts,whether you are road bike, riding, mountain bike, MTB, spinning and motorcycle.
The Men's Cycling Shorts 3D Padded Bicycle Bike Quick-Dry Pants manufactured by Baleaf are one of the cheapest items to make our best cycling shorts top ten list. Do not let this budget price point fool you, however. They are still solid shorts.
A special weaving process allows the fabric of these shorts to be extraordinarily flexible and long lasting. They will not deform when you wash them. They do indeed dry quickly as their name proclaims.
Pearl iZUMi Women's Escape Sugar Shorts
- Spring/summer 2017
- Select transfer Dry fabric sets the benchmark for compression and moisture transfer
- Women's Select pursuit 1:1TM Chamois is smooth next to skin for cushioned chafe-free comfort. UPF 50+. flattering wide waistband for superior comfort
- BioViz reflective elements for low-light visibility. BioViz Black/screaming pink color option for added daylight visibility
- Fabric: 88% Nylon/12% Lycra Elastane Silicone leg grippers hold hems in place smoothly and without constriction
We would be remiss to only evaluate men's cycling shorts in this article. The Pearl iZUMi Women's Escape Sugar Shorts are excellent for the cycling lady and reasonably priced. They are comfortable and durable. They provide sweat-wicking and compression to help cut down on muscle fatigue.
Castelli 2017/18 Men's Cento Cycling Short
Castelli provides one of the most straightforward pairs of shorts for biking with their 2017/18 Men's Cento Cycling Short. These shorts are made from spandex. They are designed to be worn in the spring, summer, and fall. We loved the relaxed fit that these provided. In terms of the best cycling shorts, having a relaxed fit option is fairly unique.
SUGOi - Men's Evolution Zap Short
- Evo Plus is a moisture wicking and breathable fabric for high output performance and comfort
- Flat seams and eight panel design combine for a low profile, contoured fit
- Updated RC Pro chamois with 3D construction for increased comfort in the saddle
- Zap leg band with silicone gripper provides slip free comfort and high visibility during night rides
If you are looking for the cutting edge of material science to be used in your cycling shorts look no further than SUGOi's Men's Evolution Zap Shorts. These cycling shorts are made of a high tech type of nylon called “Ultra Evo.” These are form fitting and provide a cycling pad that is fifteen millimeters thick for a comfortable ride.
Pearl iZUMi Men's Elite Escape Shorts
- Spring/summer 2017
- New p.R.O. Transfer fabric in the body of the short provides superior comfort and optimal moisture transfer. With a 9.5 inch inseam [size medium]
- Select transfer fabric in selected panels sets the benchmark for moisture transfer
- Raw edge p.R.O. Transfer fabric at leg opening for soft stretch comfort with silicone for added grip
- BioViz reflective elements for low-light visibility. New elite escape 1:1 Chamois with floating top sheet design reduces friction
Sometimes you need to escape on your bike. With Pearl iZUMi Men's Elite Escape Shorts you'll be ready to hit the road. These shorts are composed of a complex blend consisting of 46% polyamide, 38% polyester, and 16% elastane. Its inserts are 88% polyamide and 12% elastane. These materials together make a short that is sweat-wicking, comfortable, compressive, and long lasting.
Louis Garneau Men's CB Carbon 2 Padded
- Fully padded: Innovative 4Motion design features 3D preshaped wings and a deep split at the back, bridged by vented mesh to provide multidirectional motion and amazing comfort. Its high-density foam facilitates moisture evacuation.
- Compressive: The ergonomic fit of the bib is combined with the use of highly stretchable and compressive CB Carbon + LYCRA and Endurexx fabrics, resulting in increased blood flow and reduced muscle vibration and fatigue.
- Breathable: The bib straps are made with both Carbon-X and Highlander mesh for great comfort and moisture evacuation.
- Supportive: An Aero Lazer band is used at the thigh for a smooth transition that improves aerodynamics and muscle support, and an ischial relief zone relieves pressure at the back of the leg.
- Practical: Flatlock seams and laser-cut fabrics reduce irritation and improve comfort. Reflective accents provide greater visibility in low light.
This is a bit of a curveball in terms of the best cycling shorts you can find. Unlike the shorts we've listed so far, the Louis Garneau Men's CB Carbon 2 Padded comes with over the shoulder straps, making it look like a combination between bike shorts and a weightlifter onesie. These straps help to keep your shorts in place and many professional riders seem to love this style. Their material is both compressive and breathable, giving you the best of both worlds. Plus, they are fully padded for comfort.
Przewalski Men's Cycling Bib Shorts,
4D Padded Compression Bike Tights
- 【4D Ergonomic Chamois Pad】 5 layers 4Dimensional design, with the firm seams will fit tight into all of the curves of your saddle area. Effectively reduce abrasion, absorb shock, provide good protection and enhance the comfort for you
- 【No Sweat Breathable & Durable Material】 These Cycling Bib Shorts made of 90% polyester and 10% spandex, are designed for mens cyclists who love to ride. Our premium breathable material effectively absorb moisture and release sweat from the skin and keeps you dry and cool. It is designed with skin-friendly materials that does not irritate the skin and never fade
- 【Compression & Fit】This cycling pants adopt high stretchy fabric weaving, features excellent abrasion resistance and compression. Provide muscle support by enhancing blood flow, and reduce fatigue. Snug fit make it stay in place for maximum freedom of movement
- 【Reflective & Silicone Strip Design】This bike pants features reflective strips on both sides of the calf, which can enhance visibility in low light condition, keep you safe in darkness. Silicone leg grippers are gentle on the skin and work perfectly to keep the wear from rolling up with the muscle flex during bicycle riding.
- 【Satisfaction Guaranteed】100% full refund assurance within 90 days if you are not satisfied for any reason. Friendly customer service
If you think that you will like the over-the-shoulder model of cycling shorts, we have another contender for you. The Przewalski Men's Cycling Bib Shorts, 4D Padded Compression Bike Tights look very similar to the Louis Garneau Men's CB Carbon 2 Padded model, except that they are airier and lighter.
Made from 90% polyester and 10% spandex these ergonomic shorts are great for those who love long rides in comfort. These materials provide the right amount of compression without sacrificing breathability.
Ultimately, the decision about which are the best cycling shorts for you will be determined by two factors. One factor is your gender. Women's shorts are optimized for women's bodies and men's shorts are optimized for men's.
The second factor is whether you like the over-the-shoulder design or not. If you know that you can rock that look, then there is no question which is the best set of cycling short for your money.
That's right, we saved the best for last. Przewalski Men's Cycling Bib Shorts, 4D Padded Compression Bike Tights cannot be beat when it comes to providing all the essential features without breaking the bank.
Featured Image source: Pexels
Last update on 2021-08-05 at 14:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API